WV DNR News Release
L E G E N D
1 - General News
2 - Hunting News
3 - Fishing News
4 - Law Enforcement News
5 - Parks News
Beech Fork State Park offers June activities and nature programs
BARBOURSVILLE, W.Va. – Visitors to Beech Fork State Park near Barboursville will find a wide variety of nature programs and fun activities in June. Summer naturalist and activities coordinator Lauren Carte, a Marshall University student, is back for a fourth year to make sure a trip to Beech Fork is an exciting outdoors exploration. “I love the outdoors and anything associated with recreation and interpretation” said Carte. She holds certifications in Lifeguard and CPR, various NASA educational activities, and Project Wild and Project Learning Tree educational programs.
Beech Fork State Park has 275 campsites, year-round rentals of vacation cabins, hiking, swimming, picnic shelters, a campground store and an activity room. To learn more about Beech Fork State Park, visit www.beechforksp.com or call 304-528-5794.
Activities at Beech Fork State Park are generally 30 minutes to one hour in length and are open to the public without charge.
Wednesday, June 13
- 11 a.m. - Track Search Meet at the boat dock for a walk to see what animals were out and about while you were sleeping.
- 2 p.m. - Bugs, Bugs, and Bugs The hunt is on! Meet the naturalist on the “Road to Nowhere” for a walk on the Nature Trail to discover beneficial insects are among us. Bring your nets.
- 4:30 p.m. - Craft Time Meet the naturalist in the Activity Room to make your own Beech Fork insect craft.
Thursday, June 14
- 11 a.m. - HORSE or PIG, Beech Fork Style Meet at the basketball court for a rousing game of HORSE or PIG. Can you shoot the hoop?
- 2 p.m. - Bat Attack Come play a fun game of bat and insect chase while learning how bats use their unique sense of hearing to survive in the wild. Meet outside Campers Corner Store.
- 3:30 p.m. - Bat Origami Get a chance to make neat paper displays of the nocturnal mammals. Meet at the Campfire Circle.
Friday, June 15
- Noon - Camping Bingo Meet the naturalist in the Activity Room for a game of bingo filled with words that describe the camping experience.
- 2 p.m. - So Friendly Meet at the Campfire Circle to make friendship bracelets for yourself and your best friend while also getting the chance to mix and mingle with fellow campers.
- 4-6 p.m. - Teen Volleyball Whether you are a teen in age or just in heart, come out to the boat dock for some friendly competition.
Saturday, June 16
- Noon - Scavenger Hunt Can you find all the items on the list? Meet the naturalist outside the Campers Corner Store to start the challenge.
- 2 p.m. - Afternoon Nature Hike Join the naturalist for a walk on the Nature Trail. Learn about some interesting birds, trees, and animals along the way. Meet at the Road to Nowhere.
- 4 p.m. - Face Painting/Tattoos Meet the naturalist outside the Campers Corner Store to get that little extra color you have always wanted. (About 30 minutes)
- 7 p.m. - Three Rivers Avian Center presents Birds of Prey A featured program, Ron and Wendy Perrone will be at the Activity Room with live birds of prey from an eagle to hawks and owls. “Three Rivers Avian Center comes to Beech Fork every year and every year people are in awe of the birds of prey,” said Carte. The program lasts about one hour followed by a question period. There is no charge to attend this event. Three Rivers Avian Center is a rehabilitative center for injured birds. See the website about this organization, www.tracwv.org.
Sunday, June 17
- 10 a.m. Sunday School, 11 a.m. Worship - Services at Davis Bowen Church Everyone is invited to attend local church services at nearby Davis Bowen Church. The church is located two miles up the road towards Rt. 10.
- Noon - Afternoon Fitness Walk Join the naturalist for a stroll on the one-mile mile paved Fitness Trail. Get some great exercise while observing and appreciating the surrounding nature. Meet in front of the Campers Corner Store.
- 3 p.m. - Kick it! Come out for a rousing game of kickball. Meet the naturalist outside of the Campers Corner Store to get started.