WV DNR News Release
L E G E N D
1 - General News
2 - Hunting News
3 - Fishing News
4 - Law Enforcement News
5 - Parks News
Late October activities at Pipestem State Park encourage outdoor experiences
PIPESTEM, W.Va. – Crisp fall weather is an invitation to get outdoors at Pipestem Resort State Park in Summers County. Park guests and visitors are encouraged to take part in the wide variety of nature activities planned at this southern West Virginia destination and experience the outdoors during this beautiful time of year. Activities planned at Pipestem Resort in late October include:
Thursday, October 18
- Bird Walk - A bird walk begins in the lobby of McKeever Lodge at 9 a.m. Binoculars will be available. (1 - 1½ hours)
Saturday, October 20
- Salamander Walk - An evening walk in the woods in search of some of our amphibian neighbors - salamanders - begins at 4:30 p.m. from the Pipestem Nature Center. (1 hour)
- Civil War Campfire - Meet at the campfire circle near the bath house in the campground for an evening of songs and stories from the Civil War era. Program and presentation is by Luke Stevens and begins at 7 p.m. (1 hour)
Monday, October 22
- Mt. Creek Walk - Meet at the Mt. Creek Lodge at 10 a.m. for an easy walk to the mouth of Mt. Creek. Please allow 15 minutes for your aerial tram ride. Cost of the tram ride will be $2.
- Naturalist in the Tower -The park naturalist will be in the Bolar Lookout Tower on Pipestem Knob from 1:30 until 3 p.m. Feel free to make the 1/4 mile walk, at your leisure, and discover what is visible from Pipestem’s highest point.
Tuesday, October 23
- River Trek - Meet on the patio of the Canyon Rim Center at 9 a.m. for a 3½ mile walk down into the Bluestone Gorge. Bring your water shoes for the wade across the Bluestone River. We will ride the aerial tram up out of the gorge. Cost of the tram ride back up will be $2. (2 ½ - 3 hours)
Thursday, October 25
- Bird Walk - Meet in the lobby of McKeever Lodge. Binoculars will be available on loan for the walk that begins at 9 a.m. from the lobby of McKeever Lodge. (1 - 1½ hours)
- Pumpkin Painting & Costume Contest - Come to the Blue & Gold Room for this Halloween activity at 5 p.m.. Paint and brushes provided. Bring your own pumpkin, or pumpkins will be available for $3. (2 hours)
Saturday, October 27
- Orienteering - Come to the Nature Center at 5 p.m. and learn the basics of using a map and compass to find your way. (1 hour)
- Civil War Campfire - Luke Stevens shares stories and songs from the Civil War at this 7 p.m. campfire meeting. The event is held at the Pipestem campfire circle near the bath house in the campground. (1 hour)
Sunday, October 28
- Brush Creek Falls Car Caravan - Meet in the Nature Center parking lot at 10 a.m. for an eight mile (one-way) drive and 10-minute walk to Brush Creek Falls. (2 hours)
Tuesday, October 30
- Naturalist in the Tower - Park naturalist Jim Phillips will be in the Bolar Lookout Tower on Pipestem Knob from 10 until 11:30 a.m. to answer questions about local history, geology, and geography. Take the 1/4 mile walk up to Pipestem’s highest point.
Wednesday, October 31
- Country Roads Walk - Meet at the Nature Center at 9:30 a.m. for a walking introduction to Pipestem’s recent history.(1½ hours)
For information about Pipestem Resort State Park, visit www.pipestemresort.com or call 304-466-1800.